Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Pulitzer Prizes...A Tribute to Lilly Pulitzer


Lillian Pulitzer Rousseau, 1931 ~ 2013
What to say about Lilly Pulitzer that hasn't already been said?  Preps on social media have been tweeting their condolences, posting Lilly quotes on Facebook, and Instagramming themselves in Lilly outfits.  Bloggers have posted their tributes of the preppy style icon--The Preppy Princess and The Classic Preppy both did a wonderful job.

What a colorful life Ms. Rousseau led...and what a legacy of beauty and color she left behind!  Of course, I love wearing Lilly and cherish my collection...every single piece!  I love the clothes, the accessories, and as you know, have even decorated a guest bath with a Lilly theme.  All of the Lilly items available to us today are must-haves for Lilly lovers, but for me, it's all about the shift!

This is one of my very favorite photos of Lilly and I used it as inspiration for the tablescape of a Lilly-themed luncheon I hosted several years ago.
Lilly Pulitzer in her store on Worth Avenue

The Soleil Classic Shift was the centerpiece of my dessert table.


Y'all know that this style, the Classic Shift is my very favorite style of Lilly.  The fit just works for me.  Of course, I'm also obsessed with the little bows at the hem.  In the post by The Preppy Princess, Lilly Pulitzer once said of the Lilly shift "The Lilly holds everything in.  When that whimsical shift is on, you can't tell what is happening underneath."  And that my friends, is the truth!  That is why I love them so.  They are cute and colorful, while hiding my not-so-perfect figure.

Becoming a Lilly Pulitzer Collector
Collecting Lilly is fun and easy.  As I mentioned above, there are many sites online to purchase Lilly Pulitzer.  Of course, Lilly Pulitzer has a site and there are numerous online Lilly stores.  But, for those of us who don't buy every single dress we want each season, we stalk eBay, Etsy, and the re-sale sites on Facebook.  So searching for that perfect Lilly item is fun!  I like to hunt for certain prints and styles...The Classic Shift is my favorite, but I also love the Krista!  Here are some terms used by sellers/buyers that you need to know when you shop:

ISO = In search of
DISO = Desperately in search of
PP = Seller accepts paypal
GUC = Good used condition
VGUC = Very good used condition
EUC = Excellent used condition
NWT = New with tags
NWOT = New without tags

"Holy Grails" is a term that you might see mentioned on Lilly re-sale sites on Facebook and on eBay.  What are sellers/buyers speaking of?  Well, that would be a coveted, hard-to-find Lilly.  I have never been comfortable with using the term "Holy Grails" for clothes or even worse, the term "I worship at the Lilly altar."

My friend Gracie Beth, blogger at Preppy Southern Princess and an avid Lilly collector, recently coined the term "Pulitzer Prizes" instead of using "Holy Grails."  I love it and I'm obsessed!

Pulitzer Prizes it shall be forever more!!!

Here are some Lilly Lovers wearing their "Pulitzer Prizes" and I've also included photos of coveted "Pulitzer Prizes."

Gracie Beth, second from left, wearing the Elias White Zin Pulitzer Prize dress at her college graduation.



This is a Pulitzer Prize which Miss Gracie Beth is ISO...Fiesta Tiger Lilly dress.



Gracie Beth is also ISO this fabulous Harmon Jubilee shift.  I'm also ISO of this beauty!


Melissa Caligiuri, blogger at Create The Life You Love and a fashion icon herself in this Lilly Loving world, is wearing a Pulitzer Prize, the Posey Daisy Lane Lace dress and the green Kat Kitten Heels.


Hopsy, at Kappa Prep, {who surely has closets full of Lilly}, shown here on a trip to India...wearing the Worth Not So Crabby shift that many of us are in DISO!




Susan Romano Trader at Re-Lilly loves this Florida Loopy Pulitzer Prize shift.



Rachel of Rachel's Lilly Pad on Facebook, loves this Pulitzer Prize...the Cali Jubilee Shift in Coronado Crab 


Lori Lee B, a cute Lilly Lover, looks great in the Eryn Yellow/White Wrapping Stripe dress...a modern day Pulitzer Prize


Rachel, of A Preppy State of Mind, is wearing the Lowe Pretty Pink Tootie dress, the Goodie Goodie bracelet and necklace, and the green Kat Kitten Heels--all Pulitzer Prizes.

And, just to make y'all smile, Miss Rachel's sweet shorkie Jaycee, loves Lilly and wears it well!  Jaycee definitely lives a colorful life!

 Angela, blogger at The Southern Fried Bride, wore the Pulitzer Prize Seamus Dripping in Jewels for her first wedding anniversary photo.


Lots of Lilly Lovers, including myself, are ISO of this precious Pulitzer Prize...the Jubilee Charity Shift.


Anything in the Checking In pattern is hard-to-find.


The Dark and Stormy is another Pulitzer Prize...and one that's also on my ISO list.

That's right!  It's never enough and I'm constantly on the hunt for "Pulitzer Prizes" and updating my Lilly Pulitzer inventory.  This is the binder I use for all my Lilly stuff...


I have kept photo copies of every "Lilly Outfit of the Week" post I did a couple of years ago.  They all still make me smile...especially this one!


The binder holds all my research info on how to collect Lilly, how to spot fakes, Lilly patterns, et cetera.


Of course, I have my list of ISO's and trust me, I search daily!!!


I cherish my Lilly collection and every single item is a favorite.  I do own a few Pulitzer Prizes and would never part with them...

This would have to be my hands-down fave.  In fact, I am attending the memorial service for Lilly Pulitzer on Thursday in Palm Beach and this is the front runner OOTD.  I have never attended a funeral/memorial service wearing anything other than black.  But, it's Lilly Pulitzer and I believe she would want a colorfully-dressed group of people attending her service!
*Edit on Tuesday evening...Change of plans--not going to the service.

The Andry Charmed shift...a Pulitzer Prize



The Oh Jackie shift is another of my faves...a Pulitzer Prize!


The Margarita Shrimp Cocktail Krista, with bows at the hem--love, love, love this one!


I love the Cabana Banana Classic Shift.  It is a fabulous print and has the little bows at the hem.


So, what are your Pulitzer Prizes?  What print are you ISO?


"That's what life is all about.  Let's have a party.  Let's have it tonight!"
~Lilly Pulitzer

17 comments:

Natalie said...

I agree that Lilly would have wanted everyone in color!

Merry Wife said...

Miss Janice, I have you to thank for my Lilly obsession. I thought of you the moment I heard of her passing.

The orange Harmon shift is my favorite (wore it on Easter, actually). From seasons past, my Pulitzer Prize (love that term!) is the Dark 'n' Stormy shift.

Lori said...

That was such a wonderful tribute to Lilly!! I am really saddened by her passing. She was such an icon. I love your Lilly collection.

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Very nice tribute Miss Janice!

Dee Stephens said...

What an awesome post!!! Love it all! Post about the memorial!

Bellakarmen said...

LOVE this Lilly tribute, she would be so proud. It must have taken you a long time to put this together, it's great. I'd like more, say your accessories ,totes, belts, glasses, phone covers, etc. Oh, and repost the photo of your Lilly closet!!!

Unknown said...

By far my favorite post to Lilly (but I knew it would be)! Just wonderful.
Laurie
Lulu and Daisy

Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled said...

As always you outdid yourself! What a fantastic tribute to one heck of a lady! I so enjoy sharing an obsession with so many wonderful ladies!!! I could never pick my Pulitzer Prize! You know it's like eating chips...you can't have just ONE!

Love and Hugs,
Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled

Farrah said...

Oh my Miss Janice!! Love this post! Yes, please post about the funeral.

debbies said...

When I read about her passing, I thought of you. Lovely tribute.

NikkiL said...

The second I heard of her passing I knew you'd do a great tribute to a great lady. In a world with so much ugliness, it is gratifying to know that beauty, color, and whimsy still has a place and a following that grows with each subsequent generation that finds her. God Bless you Lilly

Rose said...

I also cherish my Lilly collection and love ebay and second hand sales. Can't wear the shift though. My boobs are too big LOL

AngelaV said...

I have a skirt in the "Southern Belle" pattern. It has peacocks in it and I think it's my favorite!

southern belle said...

Like 'Merry Wife,' I thought about Miss Janice as soon as I'd heard about Lily Pulitzer passing away! Love seeing all the photos. I live in China, and the English language newspaper (available here on our university campus where I teach) even had a brief article about Lily.

Kathleen said...

What a lovely tribute to Lilly.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I have a long Lilly skirt - but I'm not sure of the pattern name. I'll have to go look it up.

Love your blog - I saw your photo with Ronda Rich. I got to meet her this past year when she was here in Fairhope and just love her to pieces!

New follower of yours (that always sounds so religious).

Unknown said...

Miss Janice...I found the Lilly Jubilee Shift Dress that you mentioned being ISO. I am going to list it on my site at www.LassesnLads.com. Thought you might be interested. It's a size 6.