Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The "Mrs. Bucket of Palm Springs"

Today I'm featuring Miss Janice's Candlelight Supper. Several years ago, while living in Palm Springs, California, I was informed by a British friend of 28 years years that I was the "Mrs. Bucket of Palm Springs." "The Mrs. Who I asked"?

Hyacinth Bucket
Hyacinth Bucket (who insists it's pronounced "booo-kay") is the main character on the popular BBC tongue-in-cheek comedy "Keeping Up Appearances," and is married to her long-suffering husband Rrrrichard. Of course, out of curiosity, I had to watch the program to see this "Mrs. Bucket." It was hilarious! If you are not familiar with the show, you don't know what you're missing--if you enjoy British humor.

I guess that I do have a few Hyacinthean characteristics--she does have some grandiose ideas:

Regarding her milk...
She has insisted "She wants her daily two pints of milk to come from a very photogenic herd of cows she saw grazing on the Earl of Crawford's estate." this is a great idea I never thought of...

She has her best china and her everyday best china. of course Miss Janice has both of these...

She's been known to tell her guests, "Try not to brush up against my walls, I do hate it when people brush up against my walls"! y'all, i definitely tell people this--really, don't you just hate it when people do this?

Her advice when steeping tea or brewing coffee..."Pay attention to the quality of your water! I ring up my Water Board regularly to make sure they're piping it in fresh to The Bucket Residence and I strongly recommend you do the same. It never hurts for the Water Board to be reminded of their duties." it never hurts to remind anyone of their duties...


Talking about her pearl-white, slimline telephone...

...which she answers with "The Bouquet residence, the lady of the house speaking"!..."When my telephone, with last number redial and one-touch facility rings, it's always for me--unless it's for that unstylish Chinese Takeway. I've put Rrrrichard to ringing up the Chinese Ambassador to demand their number be changed. I will not have a Chinese Takeway only one digit removed"! i wouldn't want to be one digit removed from an unstylish establishment either!

She demands that her husband Rrrrichard must wear a tie when he is dead-heading the roses. i couldn't get away with this...but i would tell him to put on something cuter...

She's obsessively house proud, always polishing and perfecting her home. obsessively house proud I am...

The Bucket Residence...

She has an extensive collection of cookbooks and books on etiquette and entertaining. y'all know i have these...

"Keeping Up Appearances: Hyacinth Bucket's Book of Etiquette for the Socially Less Fortunate," by Jonathan Rice and Roy Clarke, is a must-have if you are a Hyacinth Bucket fan!Hyacinth is best known for her "candelight suppers," but her guests go to great lengths to avoid them. Hyacinth will spend the entire day fussing over the dining room table. i hope this isn't the case with my guests!

Today I'm featuring a romantic candlelight supper setting for two. If you followed my posts from last month, you are now saavy enough to be able to read this table setting and guess what types of food and wine I am serving.

Miss Janice's Candlelight Supper... Place Setting...
"The essence of the art of entertaining lies, I always think, in establishing an atmosphere of grace and decorum."
~Hyacinth Bucket

Chocolate, flowers, and romantic cards are all traditions on Valentine's Day. This day is not just for couples who are in love; it's for family and friends also. Remember that the day can be a thorn in the side of people who are not involved in a relationship so try to think of those who might otherwise feel left out--send them a sweet card or just bake them some brownies, something simple to let them know you care about them.

Thank you for joining me today.

Kindest regards,

Miss Janice
The "Mrs. Bucket of Palm Springs"

51 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

As always Miss Janice..a beautiful table!

I have to admit... I had to pause a few minutes to figure out what you were serving ...lol... from your dishes/silver...

Susan

Lori said...

Miss Janice. . .You know I'd be around to see the Hyacinth Bucket tablescape! Looks just like a setting Hyacinth would have on her table.

Being a great fan too, I have the book you mentioned and I also have her "Diary" book which is entertaining too. You're making me want to pull out my videos. . haha.

Susan @ The Good Life! said...

I love the that program! I have some of those quirks as do some of the people I know. Your table setting is beautiful!

Pug1 said...

Miss Janice you are too cute! Yes, I know Hyacinth Bucket!!!!! All her sisters and "DADDY". I love the older British shows! I used to watch them every Saturday night!Great blog!!!!!!!!! CHEERS! Michele

playsdolls said...

The story of Mrs.Bucket was wonderful,and as usual you set a beautiful table.

Melissa Miller said...

Too funny!
I loved this post Miss Janice. I must try to find the show on Youtube. She looks great.

Are you serving scones and tea? It's all so gorgeous.
Love your bronze cherub.

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

I had to think about your menu as well. Sorry, I hope to do better next time!

smooches,
Larie

Phyllis said...

Hi - I've just discovered your blog.

Keeping Up Appearances is one of my very favorite BritComs and I look forward to wathcing Hyacinth every Saturday evening. In some ways she reminds me of my grandmother (in a good way)

~CC Catherine said...

Hi Miss Janice! I totally love your sharing this story, so cute. Plus, your tablescape is so delightful and romantic! You gave some very good advice on the fact that not everyone has a beloved...and to remember to be considerate. ;) ~CC Catherine

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Well, Mrs. Bucket, you have set a lovely table! Oh My, I know I'll be watching to see which fork my hostess uses before picking up a single thing! Fun post! laurie

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

I've got to check this out. I love brit humor! faulty tower is hilarious!! :)

Unknown said...

How amusing, great story - really funny. Your table is lovely and I hope you enjoy a delightful Valentines weekend.

Jewel Sauls said...

Your post made me laugh (in a cultured way, of course!) Your table is very proper and lovely. I envy your cream soups!

PS. I really do hate people brushing up against my wallpaper!!!!

Anonymous said...

Morning Miss Janice! My question is: "Are you still friends with this person?"!lol I know my parents have mentioned that show but I've never personally watched so I'm a little lost here!lol I'll have to check it out now and see if you were insulted or flattered!!!lol As always a beautiful table; and yes lets remember those who are sensitive and feeling low around valentines day (my daughter comes to mind!) Besides sometimes chocolates are far better than a boyfriend and those can be purchased on our own!!!lol Have a great day - Sincerely, Jeannette

Schotzy said...

Full service dining at it's most exquisite! Love the story as well. Wish i could see it. I would definitely love that show! Beautiful tablescape!

Carol said...

I always love watching Hyacinth striving to be the proper hostess!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Miss Janice!! I love your Mrs. Bucket story. I am not familiar with this program, but now I must watch it! Your tablescape is gorgeous...looks like the Emily Post diagram for how to set the table...just perfect, of course! Thanks for noticing Baby Kitt's good manners. Have a great weekend...Debbie

A Hint of Home said...

Another beautiful tablescape. You truly do have a talent for this. Loved your story on this post. I have not seen the show but will look for it.
The new tea room you found looks lovely. I don't usually get that far down into FL. I may someday, though.

QueenBeeSwain said...

amazing post! LOVE Hyacinth, my nanny and I get such a kick out of her! all she wants is for people to have a nice time and a nice life.

kHm

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, my goodness, I loved Hyacinth Bucket on that show! I have not seen it in years.

Beautiful table and thanks for the memories.

On The Wings Of Love said...

I love Madame Bucket ! (Bouquet LOL )
Justs love British humour but not sure I get the program up hereon the West Coast.

Great seeing you here...I did my first tablescape. I have alot to learn from you ladies ;)

Cheers,
Bre

Meghan said...

Beautiful table!!!

I love all the comparissions & I know I just spelled that wrong but am just too tired to spell check. LOL

Scribbler said...

I, too, love British humor, and get a great kick out of Hyacinth! (Don't you love that she named her son Sheridan?)

Lovely table!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

You are too much fun,Ms Janice.I love Hyacinth.And your table is lovely...Ann

Kara said...

Well my my a Hyacinth Bucket in the making you are....
I love ALL things British, especially the hubby. Love thoses Alana-Waterford stemware....

Very lovely table.
Miss Kara

Kathleen Ellis said...

Very entertaining post, Miss Janice!
Pretty table, too! I think I've got a bit of Hyacinth "Boo-kay" in me, too!
Happy Valentine's Day!
;-D

Unknown said...

What a fun post and Blog....I Have to tune into that TV show. It sounds like a hoot!

Schotzy said...

I left you a little something at my blog just in time for valentine's Day!

PAT said...

Oh nnnnoooo, it's the Bucket woman! I love Hyacinth!

Beautiful table, Miss Janice! Cute post!

Mind the pedestrian Richard!

Delightful!
Thanks!

ellen b. said...

Oh what fun! Such an elegant table too. Sheesh you even pulled out the fish fork...I like it!!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Miss Janice, I'm sure Mrs Bucket would love all the tables you set! This one is gorgeous! Loved the story about Hyacinth Bucket.. ;) Nancy

Tammy B said...

I just love Hyacinth Bucket. Of course, you need to serve off your Royal Doulton china with the hand painted Periwinkles.

Glenda said...

It is healthy I've heard to smile or even laugh at ourselves. I think we all have a tad or more of Mrs. Bucket in our makeup. This was a very entertaining post.

DH and I usually turn the channel when the BritComs come on. I can see I need to check out this particular series, "Keeping Up Appearances".

Kathy said...

Hello Miss Janice, your tablescape is perfect, Hyacinth would be proud. being a Brit I adore her and when I am fussing over our table before our guests arrive my hubby refers to me as "Mrs Bucket". I often go to youtube to watch clips for a quick fix. "To the manor born" and "As time goes by" are faves to. Wonderful post, I really enjoyed my visit. Kathy.

Bo said...

This was the cutest post! Your tablescape is one I'm sure Mrs. Bucket would approve of... It is lovely. ;-) Bo

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I loved Mrs. Bucket.. that was just adorable.. Your table is gorgeous as always.. your placecard holders are a treasure.. another perfect setting..thanks for the visit to see the toile table setting..your comments are always so sweet and mean the world.
Happy Valentines Day to you..
hugs ~lynne~

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

You know what sets you apart from Mrs Bucket? Your sense of humor. What a fun post Janice! Lovely table too!

Sweetie said...

I love this post. Your etiquette reminds me of Miss Manners (whom I think is an expert). Your table setting is lovely.
Sweetie

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Love the china and the silver!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

OH my goodness...I love Hyacinth. That poor Richard...he is a patient man indeed!

Anonymous said...

This is just too funny.I must get familar with Mrs.Bucket.She is my kind of lady.

Tardevil said...

Now that is funny, but is it a compliment? I couldn't tell....Your table is lovely as usual! Have a happy Valentine's Day!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Miss Janice, it's my first time visiting you, but you have captured my heart as Hyacinth's kindred spirit. I love her.

Happy Valentine's Day!
xo Lidy

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Miss Janice I always love visiting your blog and your tablescapes. This one is very elegant. I am not familar with the show you mentioned but I'll have you know I have searched it on my cable, and have set it up to record on my DVR!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! This is so funny! They should bring Hyacinth back - cool that you appreciate the British humour! :)

Lady Katherine said...

Miss Janice, I been away from blogland for a week, I toured all your lovely articles. I can say I do love Hyacinth Bucket, Hubby watches with me. Its a fun show. Your tablescape is so lovley. The Tea room was great! I adore your new rooster teapot! Hope you had a Happy Valentine's.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

LOLOL!! I LOVE Hyacinth Bucket! She's a RIOT. I bought a bunch of the videotapes. I love it when she brags about her sister with a yard "big enough for a pony."

And how about that sister of hers and her husband "Onslow"...

LOL. Too funny.

Envoy-ette said...

My 2nd sister and I quarrel over who is Violet! LOL! A lovely setting!

LillyB said...

Your table was fabulous and I giggled through your post!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Miss Janice this is one of my favorite programs! Hyacinth Bucket is very near and dear to my heart.

Mrs. Bucket (Bouquet) reminds me of my own grandmother-one of the most amazing women on this beautiful earth. I love watching the series-it brings back some wonderful (and hysterical) memories of my own life growing up in New England.

Thank you for the post!

Gretchen said...

I'm blessed to have found you. Your blog popped up in a search for Berkin Bags which I did because I follow a podcast about Gilmore Girls. I moved to Lexington, KY last year from Seattle. I just learned from your Greeting Card Etiquette post that when I changed my name from Gretchen Elizabeth Schmidt to Gretchen Schmidt Bishay I was following a southern tradition. And we share a love for Mrs. Bucket. I especially loved her telephone conversations, and that her sisters were also named for flowers, Rose and Daisy. I also enjoyed your prissy post, though I prefer Julia Sugarbaker. Can't wait to see what you have to say about Starbucks and Trader Joe's.
All the best,
Gretchen