Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Gingerbread in the Kitchen

Last year I loved my Santa in France theme at Christmas. I thought it went so well with the colors in my kitchen, relaxing room, and dining room. Well, this year, I changed things up a bit. Today, I'm featuring part of the kitchen area...all decked out in red gingham, dots, and gingerbread motif.

I'm modeling the latest addition to my "Prissy Apron Collection" ...it's from HomeGoods.

The kitchen table is set with a red and white theme.
A tabletop tree is the centerpiece...decorated with red and white gingham ribbon, red dot ornaments, and gingerbread ornaments.

The placesetting...these red plates are from SteinMart, purchased many years ago. Of course, I decided to use my red gingham napkins and red gingham fabric for the tree base.
The mini gingerbread people are hot glued onto the white flatware.

Dot glass goblets for my signature beverage...Cranberry Ginger Fizz--1/2 Cranberry Juice & 1/2 Ginger Ale. Fresh cranberries and mint leaves garnish the beverage and red dot paper straws coordinate with the setting.
I used a few "Prissy Plates" with this setting. "Prissy Plates" are the perfect serving pieces for the Southern hostess...we love ribbons and bows and these can be dressed up and changed for any occasion.

This small "Prissy Plate", adorned with red gingham ribbon was just the right size for the Cranberry-Apple Brie.
The sideboard was set up for desserts...
More dots and gingham on a wreath for the mirror...
The Advent Tree...and a little gingerbread house.
Another "Prissy Plate" adorned with more red gingham ribbon for the Red Velvet Cake. It just wouldn't be a Southern Christmas at my house without a Red Velvet Cake!
Tiny red gingham ribbon adorns this "Prissy Plate" server...and Gingerbread Cupcakes*.
The cupcakes were topped with cream cheese icing and mini gingerbread cookies and wrapped with gingerbread-motif cupcake wrappers.
The hutch is filled with red dishes and gingerbread-motif goblets.

A cute gingerbread house from The Fresh Market sits on top of another "Prissy Plate".
Gingerbread Chef Santa! {I found him at The Cracker Barrel}
The red dinner plates are from 'The Country Living' collection at KMart. The gingerbread salt and pepper shakers are from Fitz and Floyd. The gingerbread goblets are from Dillard's many years ago.



*RECIPE FOR GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES:
{Recipe source--Betty Crocker}

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place your paper baking cups in each regular size muffin cup. In a large bowl, beat the granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, the molasses and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with a spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, the allspice, and water. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan to cooling racks. Cool completely about 20 minutes.

I used the Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting from the *GASP* can!

I'm off today to visit my best friend Teresa Jane in Augusta, then on to my Mama's house for a visit. I'll have more "Gingerbread in the Kitchen" loot when I return!

12 comments:

PAT said...

I love the gingerbread Miss Janice. Your Gingerbread Kitchen is beautiful!

MissJoAnn said...

My kitchen is gingerbread and red-gingham every CHRISTmas! I have a little 3' tree on the table, with my collection. Isn't it fun?

Michelle said...

So precious! I love it! Thank you for sharing your lovely and festive kitchen and the yummy recipe.

Ladybug said...

Oh my! I'm using gingerbread and also use a red/white/silver theme; never thought about using a white tree! And is that a monogram I spy on the wreath??

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How precious this is! I'm still putting on the finishing touches....not doing quite as much decorating this year.

Sandra said...

You kitchen is precious! I love the gingerbread theme. You look like you are ready for the holidays. The gingerbread cupcakes sound yummy, too. I think I may have to whip up a batch the week.

Suburban Princess said...

Everything looks terrific!

Safe travels!

JulesTX said...

NOBODY does a theme better than you Miss Janice !

Kathleen said...

Hi Janice!
Love your gingerbread theme for the kitchen, so cheerful with the red and white!
Have a very blessed Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Janice! I love gingerbread and will have to copy your recipe! I love your little sweeties! Everything is so festive.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Super fabulously cute.

Sue said...

I have done a gingerbread theme in my kitchen in the past so loved seeing your take one it. What a great collection of gingerbread goodies you have and I love the way you used the dots, checks, and peppermint with them.
Hope you are having a wonderful time with your Mamma. I was listening to Christmas music yesterday while puttering in the kitchen and so many of the songs reminded me of my dearly departed Mamma. I know you treasure every minute with your beautiful Mamma.
xoxo,
Sue