Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Official Preppy Handbook Turns 35!

"The Official Preppy Handbook" turns 35 this year!  This book was totally my reference guide back the 80's.


My outfits back then consisted of wrap skirts, Lanz dresses, espadrilles (monogrammed of course), white blouses with Peter Pan monogrammed collars, Topsiders, Bermuda bags, pearls, add-a-bead necklace, and grosgrain pony bows.
I have aged but my outfits remain much the same!


The good thing about remaining true to one style is that clothes and accessories last for many years.  These are the staples of my conservative, preppy-style wardrobe:

Puffer vests, Ralph Lauren crew neck sweaters, fair isle sweaters, and J Crew cardigans.




Burberry Brit quilted jacket
This pink J Crew pea coat is actually on my search list!



Love my Chanel cap toe flats, Ferragamo Varas, and Tory Burch Revas

Last year when I left Florida to live in Georgia, I had one pair of boots.  Now I have nine pair!  Love the Ralph Lauren tartan boots, the Burberry Brit check boots, Hunter boots, and monogrammed boots.

Ralph Lauren ocbd shirts NEVER go out of style and look great under vests or sweaters.

Tartan is a must for a preppy wardrobe and I'm constantly adding new pieces to my collection.

Of course, the Lilly Pulitzer classic shift is my go-to outfit during the summer.

I still love Bermuda bags today and love finding cute ones on eBay.

Ferragamo headbands are very classic and preppy.

I do love pocketbooks and these are some of my favorites from my collection...The Louis Vuitton Speedy, Chanel Classic Flap bag, Ferragamo bags with the Vara bow, and Kate Spade Quinn bags.

Love the totes from Lands' End.  They are a classic and sturdy way to haul loot!

This classic double-breasted blazer with gold monogrammed buttons has been a staple in my closet for 30 years!!!  The material is a very thick knit and is very warm in the wintertime with a turtleneck sweater.


I wear pony caps all the time and have a bunch of them.  The monogrammed cap and plaid cap are nice accessories to a preppy wardrobe.



I have been a fan of Sperry Topsiders for over 30 years and love wearing them during the summer months.

Gingham blouses are so versatile and I love wearing them layered with sweaters under vests or just with a cardigan.  I also think they look cute with Lilly Pulitzer patterned classic shifts.

Last, but not least, you have to have a cute umbrella.  These two by Lilly Pulitzer and Burberry and just a couple from my umbrella collection.  Of course, my umbrellas coordinate with my outfits!


14 comments:

Maggie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. Somewhere I still have my copy of THE handbook. Thanks for sharing the real preppy look as opposed to what often passes for it these days.

Kathie Truitt said...

I love it when you show pieces from your collection. Only one Lilly store here in Dallas metro area but it is a good one (Southlake Shopping Center). I almost gave away all my puffer vests and sweaters when I left Virginia but so glad I didn't. It does get nippy here in Texas and I got a chance to use them last winter.

Tammy B said...

I probably don't have to tell you that I love this post. I still have my copy of TOPH. I miss many of the brands that are gone. I had plenty of Carroll Reed, Tanner, Eagles Eye, and of course, old school The Talbot's. (Not Talbot's, but The Talbot's).

Lady Caroline said...

I love the top left hand photo of you in the pink dress, you look so pretty. You are so correct, a classic navy blue double-breasted blazer with gold military buttons is an absolute must in any ladies 'classic' wardrobe. I've had mine for more years than I care to remember and it goes with just about anything. An absolute "fail-safe"

Christine @ Suburban Charm said...

GREAT post..I still have my copy of TPH too! I believe in "investment dressing" and the classics you posted are perfect examples. I love all of your gingham, and I have the J Crew pink pea coat and LOVE it....looks adorable with a Lilly Murfee scarf and so warm. I just got into the puffer vests a few years ago and now it's a little out of control! You have a FABULOUS wardrobe!!!

Miss Janice said...

Thank you Maggie.

Miss Janice said...

Kathie, I love to mix, match, and layer vests!

Miss Janice said...

Tammy B, We are style twins! I loved all the brands you mentioned.

Miss Janice said...

Thank you Lady Caroline. I bought my blazer in the now closed Trimmingham's in Bermuda.

Miss Janice said...

Well Christine, I'm totally jealous that you have the pink pea coat. I'll stay on the hunt!

NikkiL said...

Darling. They call it preppy but to us it's just classic Southern style here in Southeast Louisiana. Add in some seersucker or baby cord and that is classic New Orleans. Love it all. Life is too short to wear anything but pretty colors and clothes.

Farrah said...

I'm jealous of your collection! 💙

Miss Janice said...

Oh, I've been collecting for years.

Unknown said...

I am a Preppy girl living in Austgralia. Have dressed in that style since the 80's and find that whatever your age you can still adapt your wardrobe to Preppy. Love to wear pearls and buy most of my clothes from the US. Love this site.