Sunday, July 19, 2009

Make it Preppy...Make it Personal


I haven't joined in on the fun with Susan over at BetweenNapsOnThePorch in awhile, so I'm sharing a casual tablescape I created recently for a summer lunch on the porch. Most of the tableware was purchased at Target in the $1-ish section.

Here's the tablescape...

The pink plaid melamine plates and coordinating placemats are from Target. I found the lime green charger plates on Ebay.

The solid white napkins are adorned with a lime green dotted ribbon and I love the little flip flop placecard holders, which I found at Claire's in the mall.

I also used monogrammed decals, all from 2PreppyGirls to help to make it a little more preppy and a little more personal. I love 2PreppyGirls...Margaret has the cutest products y'all. The decals are easy to use and add personalization to everything! She carries the cutest monogrammed clogs, checkbook covers, caps & visors, laptop bags, and all sorts of cute, preppy items. Please stop over and visit her store and also check out her blogsite here.

I love the acrylic wine goblets, personalized...

After spraying a yucky, silver-colored bucket a preppy lime green color and adding a monogrammed decal, I think it made a nice wine bucket to hold the Trader Joe's famous Two- Buck Chuck Chardonnay. The darling pink and green wine bottle stopper was a gift to me from SouthernAndPreppy for a recent swap.

I love this pink plaid melamine tray and coordinating beverage pitcher, which also came from the $1-ish section at Target. I also love the plastic tumblers, holding the cool summer Peach Tea Coolers and labeled "Drinks Well With Others"--yes ma'am, I do!

PREPPY LUNCHEON MENU
Peach Tea Coolers*
Seafood Salad with Lime Vinaigrette**
French Baguette
Two-Buck Chuck Chardonnay
Orange Creamsicles***

SEAFOOD SALAD & BAGUETTE...

ORANGE CREAMSICLES...
A little Monogramming Etiquette:
Mongramming is a personal expression that adds an extra touch to anything! Make sure that you follow monogramming etiquette--don't commit a monogramming faux pas.

Your initials are your monogram. For an example, I will use my name and my husband's name. My maiden name was Janice Kay Sessums. I married Kenneth Craig Gibson. Following Southern tradition, my name is now Janice Sessums Gibson. Here are the guidelines for our monograms:

~For single lady--Janice Kay Sessums--jSk
~For a married lady--Janice Sessums Gibson--jGs
~For a gentleman--Kenneth Craig Gibson--KCG
~For a married couple--Janice and Ken Gibson--jGk (The ladies initial always comes first in the monogram; never separate a gentleman's first name from his last name)
~If you want to use only one inital, use your first name initial for pocketbooks and accessories--J. Use your last name initial for home products--G.
~Using your married monogram before you are married is an etiquette faux pas; it's okay to use your married monogram at your wedding on napkins, favors, runners, cake, etc.
~Using "His/Hers" as a monogram is tacky y'all!

So, "What Did I Wear?"...Pink and Green, and monogrammed, of course. This is the fuschia pink linen Lilly shift and I wore my darling Jack Rogers fuschia and lime green sandals. The colors appear off here, but they were perfect together!

Here's the recipes from this summer luncheon, I hope that you try them, they are simply delish!

Recipe for Peach Tea Coolers
9 oz. iced tea
3 oz. peach schnapps
Mix and serve over ice

**Recipe for Seafood Salad with Lime Vinaigrette

1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. crabmeat
2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and cut into small cubes
1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced
2 tblsp. green onions, chopped
Herb lettuce

Sautee shrimp in 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 tsp. dried thyme for about 3 minutes. Cover and refrigerate the shrimp until chilled.

Combine crabmeat, avocados, tomatoes, green onions. Drizzle with 1/3 cup Lime Vinaigrette, and mix gently.

Place desired amount of herb salad on plate and drizzle a few tablespoons of Lime Vinaigrette over lettuce. Top with the seafood mixture and enjoy!

Lime Vinaigrette:
In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice and 1 garlic clove, and 2 tblsp. chopped green onions. Slowly whisk in 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil.

***Recipe for Orange Creamsicles
1 cup vanilla-flavored yogurt
1/2 cup frozen orange-juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, orange juice, water, and ginger, stirring well. Fill ice-pop molds. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Well that's it...a Pink, Preppy, and Personalized Luncheon Tablescape! Thank you for stopping by today.

54 comments:

Stacey said...

Miss Janice your table is adorable. I can't believe you were able to put together that look with such bargains! Thanks for showing us how it's done.

a. said...

I love it! Where is the shift dress from? It's totally you :)

My word verification? plates!

~M~ said...

I love it!

Mallory Ann said...

This is to cute!!!

Donna said...

This whole post is just too cool.
The place card flip flops are just adorable. Everything is so pretty and coordinated. Always enjoy yours posts.
:)

Her Preppiness said...

tres chic!!

Gracie Beth said...

I love your table! Thanks for the monogram lesson, I absolutely adore your outfit!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Just darling! So glad you're back.

Caroline said...

Wow, I just saved all the photos from this post into my personal inspiration folder. Great tablescape!

I will be in PSL August 6 - 12; do you know of any preppy goings on during that time?
xoxo Caroline

Pug1 said...

Excellent post once again! You're TOPS Miss Janice!!!! Thanks for the Monograming etiquette! You should have had a pic taken with the outfit on, It's so cute! CHEERS! Michele

Lindsay said...

This is so adorable! Your guests are truly so lucky!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

As usual, pretty enough to be a magazine spread.

PAT said...

Lovely table, Miss Janice.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Miss Janice! You really know how to throw a patio party! I adore your table and the pink and green everything! The monograms are really so classy! Your ice bucket turned out great! Look at your little dress and sandals! Oh, on to that food...I'm comin' over! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

PoshMomma said...

Anyone who has EVER been invited to your home needs to thank their lucky stars. You are, by far, the hostess that every Posh Momma on earth aspires to be like in some small way.

That menu is divine & your ensemble is STUNNING! Where did you get that dress? I love that it is monogrammed!!!!! Beautiful, Miss Janice. So very you. So perfect!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks lovely, as usual!

Thank you so very much for the creamsicle recipe! I cannot wait to try it out while the kiddos and I are at the beach this week!

xoxo

Lisa said...

What a darling table, Miss Janice! I have got to try your creamsicle recipe. Sounds so yummy!

Belle said...

I am loving all of your monogrammed stuff! I just got married and am diligently trying to update all of our monogrammed items! This has given me some great ideas!

preppyinnewengland said...

What anadorable summery setting! So nicely done to make guests feel so comforatble! Love the bargains!

Brittany said...

adorable!! I love the plates!:)

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you ever so much for the wonderful plug, Miss Janice!!! I had no doubt that you would put those monograms that you ordered to good use!! Thanks so much for sharing the pics! TOO CUTE!!! You make it all seem so effortless! How do you do it?!?!!

(((hugs)))
Margaret

ACK-10 Weymouth Lane said...

So adorable!
I love all your tablescapes! You're inspiring me to have a party!

The 5 Bickies said...

What a beautiful luncheon! Everything looks and sounds delicious. I will definitely be trying these recipes.

As well, thank you for the monogram refresher. It's good to hear it all again! I didn't know about single initial monogram etiquette.

Nanette said...

Everything looks so wonderful. Love the little flip-flops!
Valerie

Sandra said...

It looks so fabulous! I haven't been to Target in months! Guess I've missed out this time ;-) xoxoxo

Unknown said...

U r the best "table setter". there has to be a better name but i can't think of it! But u r.. Just Awesome as usual. Mishelle

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a cute party, and the hostess matched her party theme! Great idea to spray the bucket and add the monogram, and those polka dot ribbon napkin rings are the perfect finishing touch. Love it! Peach tea sounds so good. I'll have to try that. laurie

melissa said...

Darling pink & green tablescape!
How do you manange it all, the setting up and lunching outside in this Florida heat?? You are brave - entertaining so beautifully outside during these hot & humid summer days.

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Miss Janice, you are so great at this! Will you come decorate my dining room table? Since I've moved into the new house, it's been naked, but I'm scared to decorate it! We never use it so it needs something! Your ideas are so great, I love them all!

Domestic Diva said...

Ok- the perfect table! So pretty!! Sorry I have been absent. The flu got the best of me. Thank you for the kinds words on your Lilly Picture of the week.
xxx me

Happy Monday!!

Lady Katherine said...

I remember this lovely setting, but not my hubby's favorite dream cycles!
I should start shopping at Target! lol

cancersucks said...

I wish you lived closer to me...you could help me tablescape and decorate for my LIVESTRONG fundraiser this Sat. I am going with black tablecloths and yellow flowers/lemons/etc. to keep with the LIVESTRONG colors. Picnic under the stars is our theme. Wish me luck!

Unknown said...

The perfect hostess.

I have a monogram question. Baby Girl's current monogram is eBa. She goes by the a name. When she marries what should her monogram be? She WILL take her husband's name. Use the e for formal things & the a for more casual single letter things?

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, I love all the colors you have used...bright pink and green are one of my fav combinations! I have an ugly silver bucket...I'd love to spray it. Did you use any particular kind of paint for that? It looks great! Did you get your decal from the shoppe you mentioned? I need to check out their store...I can't help myself...I love preppy stuff! :-)
Great post! Susan P.S. Your Lily shift is adorable!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Fabulous!! Every little detail is simply fabulous!

Kara said...

Love it, pink, green and monogramed are 3 of my favorite things... and those flip flop place cards are to die for.

Want it ALL!!

Miss Kara

Kara said...

Pink, green and monogramed...3 of my favorite things., just love the flip flop place cards... I want some....
Miss Kara

Suzanne said...

As usual, your tablescape is stunning! I especially love the bamboo flatware.

Posh Peach said...

Oh Miss Janice - you have created an outstanding tablescape once again! I just love all the little details, which are what truly makes an event shine. I tried to channel my inner Miss Janice at the shower I held this past weekend. I will post some pictures later. Love those plates and the monogram bucket!

Hopsy said...

AMAZING at always! I remember seeing those plates and the matching try at Target, but seeing as I have far too much stuff in my apartment I forced myself to put them back. I can now rest assured knowing I did the right thing because I gave someone else the chance to recreate you darling tablescape. You are so very talend Miss Janice! Next time I am in FL can I stop by for preppy afternoon tea?

Nancy Rosalina said...

Miss Janice, This is adorable!!! Those little shoe place card holders are too cute!! You always out do yourself with these table settings!! How lucky your friends and family are to have you do these special things for them! Nancy

Melissa Miller said...

Miss Janice this is gorgeous!

Love every single vibrant detail. The monogramms are the perfect touch. I didn't know all the etiquette for having it done. Thank you for sharing.

Have a blessed evening.
~Melissa :)

Kate said...

Your table settings are always AMAZING!

Muffy said...

AMAZING and WONDERFUL. Truly preppy and simply PERFECT!

Unknown said...

Love your table, so pretty and preppy! I also learned while ordering stationary for my daughters wedding, that you should only use first name initials only on stationary that is sent out before the wedding. After the wedding it is okay to use the last name initial. A lot of people are using the fiance's last name initial on things sent out before the wedding and that's a no no.

Printersdevil said...

Wonderful table. I love the colors and the dishes and the cute place card holders. In fact, I love it all!

Terri said...

This is my first peek at your blog and I'm quite impressed with your terribly chic pink and green tablescape..... Just too, too cute. And on a budget to boot!

Slice of Pie said...

Very, very nice. I love the color combination ...

Envoy-ette said...

Just when I thought how thorough you were with your table & drinks, you knocked me out with your dress and shoes! BRAVO! It's not often I'm pushing my jaw back up to my face!

BLC :o said...

O-my-WORD! I want one of everything!!! Divine as always Miss J! Xoxo-BLC

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Fabulous! I love everything! The colours are great as are your accessories. Those flip-flop placecard holders are so unique and summer-y! Don't melamine plates come in so many fabulous patterns nowadays? Love yours!

DD

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Miss Janice, I checked back in over at Susan's, and I'm so glad I saw this. What an absolutely adorable tablescape! Everything is so cute and fresh, and I love the colors and the monograms. Your dress and sandals are darling, too.

You always do such a good job, and I enjoy seeing your photographs of your various parties and tablescapss so much as well as your menus. Thank you for sharing this with us. I enjoyed visiting at your blog.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Cass @ That Old House said...

LOVE the pretty pink and green!

Great table -- just adorable, with its plaids and monograms ... love it!

Cass

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Oh everything is DARLING!!! Your blog is such eye candy! I got some of those $1 Target items, but I did NOT see those cute placemats (the pink with the little green trim?)...Did you get them recently? Must.Have.Now!

You're so funny about enlarging the photos on my blog...I do that on just about everyone's blog!! I'm a Nosey Parker for little details...

:)

P.S. Yes, do go to Palm Beach (Via Mizner - just off Worth Ave) and see the Angela Moore (tiny) boutique. Because speaking of eye candy....