Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tee Time at the Masters

Today, I am featuring a "Masters Tablescape."

One of the oldest springtime traditions in the South is the Masters Golf Tournament--The Augusta National is steeped in tradition. As the commercials say, "The Masters is a tradition like no other." I grew up in Augusta and got my "Coppertone Tan" every spring on the 16th green. Many years later, my family still goes out to the Masters Golf Tournament to enjoy the golf, the latest fashions, dogwoods and azaleas in bloom, and the food.

An Augusta National print on the wall of my husband's "Romper Room," the "16th Hole"--where all the locals hang out!




Another print on the wall...the famous "13th Hole," lined with 1,600 azaleas from tee to green...
The Tickets
The Masters badge is one of "the hardest-to-get tickets" in sports. My family has been Masters badgeholders since the 60's. Here's one of my collections on the wall in "The Romper Room"...

The Etiquette
If you are lucky enough to attend the Masters, remember to practice proper "Augusta National Etiquette."

~No running, loud talking, or yelling.
~Applaud successful strokes; never applaud or cheer the misplays of a player.
~Thou shalt not litter at the Augusta National...it is hallowed ground to golfers.
~Don't wear green on Sunday at the Masters...it's disrespectful to the golfer who will don "The Green Jacket."
~Conservative golfwear is the appropriate attire...keep it preppy!

The Green Jacket
Each year, the winner of the Masters Tournament is presented with the famous "Green Jacket." It's definitely a golden moment for the winner! He gets to take the jacket home with him and keep it for one year. Upon his return to the tournament the next year, he gives the jacket back to the club. After that, he can only wear the jacket when he visits the Augusta National Golf Club.

Here is a photo of the 2007 Masters Champion--Zach Johnson, presenting the Green Jacket to the 2008 champion--Trevor Immelman...The big question--Will Tiger win his 5th this year????
The Food
Barbeque sandwiches, ham on rye, the beer gardens...all remind me of those fun days in Augusta. But, the pimiento cheese sandwich is the crowd favorite at the Masters. The sandwich costs $1 and is considered a delicacy by the golf fans--it's simple, it's southern, and it's a tradition. Of course pimiento cheese sandwiches, cut into triangles and trimmed of crusts, are also favorites at bridal receptions, showers, and teas all over the South.

Heres some more of my Masters ticket collection, Masters cookbooks, yummy pimiento cheese sandwiches, and Arnold Palmer Iced Tea...

The Junior League of Augusta has published three great recipe books. Tea Time at the Masters, Tea Time at the Masters--Second Round, and Tea Time at the Masters--Par Three. These are all must-have cookbooks for Southern ladies and you will find a lot of recipes inside that are favorites among Augustans.


For a great snack, try a delicious pimiento cheese sandwich*, served with Lay's potato chips and an "Arnold Palmer iced tea."*

*Recipe for Four-Cheese Pimiento Sandwiches
Source: Tea Time at the Masters, Par Three

3 cups (12 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded yellow sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces crumbled bleu cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimientos, drained
1 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
White sandwich bread

Combine the white cheddar cheese, yellow cheddar cheese, bleu cheese, parmesan cheese, pimientos, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard in a food processor and process until smooth. Remove to a bowl. Cover and chill. Spread on white bread to make sandwiches.

*Recipe for Arnold Palmer Iced Tea
Combine 1/2 iced tea and 1/2 lemonade in a pitcher and fill with ice. Serve and enjoy!


A Masters Tablescape
Every year my friend Teresa Jane welcomes my husband and one of his lucky friends he chooses to attend the Masters into her home during Masters week . For as long as I can remember, Teresa Jane has been hosting her "Masters Dinner," with the same delicious menu year after year.


This year Masters Sunday falls on Easter Sunday, which it frequently does. My husband decided to skip going to Augusta this year. A couple of days ago, he hosted game day/night/early morning in the "Romper Room at the Roost" to kick off the Masters Golf Tournament and play Poker, while enjoying the foods I prepared from Teresa Jane's "Masters Dinner."

Teresa Jane is an avid scrapbooker and awesome cardmaker. She designed these oh-so cute invitations for the event. The invitation is in the design of "The Green Jacket." When the invite information was removed, it revealed the recipe for the famous "Green Jacket Salad"! Aren't these just perfect for a golf event! The jacket even has the little Augusta National logo on the pocket!!!
Here's the recipe for the famous "Green Jacket Salad." The Green Jacket Restaurant was THE most popular restaurant in Augusta for many years. This is the recipe for their house salad and it is awesome! If you decide to make this salad, do not add the dressing until just before serving.

This is the menu my friend Teresa Jane has been preparing for family and friends since the 70's:


Menu

Green Jacket Salad
Teresa Jane's Barbeque Chicken
Twiced-Baked Potatoes
Easy Garlic Bread
Arnold Palmer Iced Tea
~
Par 3 Cupcakes



This dinner was served on a Poker table, family-style--which is appropriate for an informal occasion. The food was placed on the table in serving dishes and passed around by each guest. I purchased these white plates at Pier One years ago and the tumblers are from the Augusta National Gift Shop.
The centerpiece...golf balls!

The centerpiece was surrounded by Augusta National golf hats and visors...

I purchased these placemats at the Augusta National Gift Shop many years ago and use them every year during the tournment...The flatware is wrapped in Masters-yellow napkins and wrapped in a ring imprinted with the Augusta National logo...


I used more of my Masters ticket collection to embellish the place cards...




The menu, a souvenir for each guest...



The Poker table loaded with food--my husband's favorite meal...

The famous "Green Jacket" salad...

Teresa Jane's barbeque chicken*...


Recipe for Teresa Jane's Barbeque Chicken:

1 stick butter
6 tablespoons vinegar
6 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons sugar

Bake/grill chicken breasts. Add all ingredients to a medium pot and simmer over low heat. You may brush the chicken with sauce while cooking and then transfer the sauce to a serving bowl at the table.

Twiced-baked potatoes--these are awesome*!



Recipe for Twiced-Baked Potatoes:

4 large baking potatoes
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 bunch green onions
Garlic Salt

You may bake the potatoes in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour. (I microwave them for ten minutes) When the potatoes are done, allow to cool for ten minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. Add all the ingredients except the green onions and 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese to the potato mixture. Mix until creamy. Top with more cheddar cheese and chopped green onions. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Easy garlic bread...

Par 3 cupcakes, with golf tees and flags...



Get Your Party Favors Y'all!
Gift bags with golf balls...what else??? I attached an Augusta National pencil to the outside--my daddy gave me tons of these Augusta National pencils years ago.

The Song
It's springtime in the valley on Magnolia Lane
It's the Augusta National and the master of the game
Who'll wear that green coat on Sunday afternoon
Who'll walk that 18th fairway singing this tune
Augusta your dogwoods and pines
They play on my mind like a song
Augusta it's you that I love
It's you that I miss when I'm gone
Well, it's Watson and Byron Nelson and Demaret and Player and Snead
And it's "Amen Corner" and Hogan's perfect swing
It's Sarazon's double eagle at the 15th hole
And the spirit of Clifford Roberts that keeps it alive
It's the legends of Arnie's Army and the Golden Bear's throng
And the wooden shafted legend of Bobby Jones.
~Sung by Dave Loggins

Here's a photo from the 80's of my best friend Teresa Jane and me at the Par 3 Tournament in Augusta...fun times!

It's definitely springtime in Augusta. My brother was at the course yesterday and said the flowers were all just gorgeous. Springtime in Augusta...nothing like it anywhere y'all!

44 comments:

Princess Freckles said...

What a cool idea!!! As usual, your table is perfection! I love the photo of you and your friend! Great vintage Gucci!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh Miss Janice...perfection again! The invitations that Miss Theresa Jane made are adorable!

QueenBeeSwain said...

Miss Janice!

Masters-baby here! This post put such a huge smile on my face- love that you love the Masters as much (I'll say it-even more!) than I do! I'll have to make the cupcakes- one year when my father was in second place in the City Men's golf Championship, he hit a beautiful shot out of the sand which made the front page of the sports section- so MoMo baked a cake with a burnt caramel frosting and put a little golfer in the center of it :)

I had no idea about the JL Augusta Masters cookbooks- adding these to my MUST purchase list as soon as Lent is up in a couple of days- no Amazon for this little bubble!

I've got a Masters post up my sleeve- but it's silly.

PS- Seve Ballesteros won the year I was born- I was always so jealous that Jack Nicklaus won the year that my sis was born- my fav' of all time!

I cannot lie- I've never warmed up completely to Tiger or Phil M.

What an amazing post per the norm!

kHm

Miss Janice said...

Queen Bee...Miss Janice LOVES Seve!

Unknown said...

What a great post. As my husband is an avid golfer who doesn't understand how reading people's blogs could be so exciting for me, I must show him your post tonight! He will enjoy reading it and, hopefully, get a glimpse at why blogging is so much fun....

bj said...

Oh, I enjoyed this magnificent post today, Miss Janice.
We always watch the Masters...Mr. Sweet Nothings loves golf. I am not a player but I do love watching it.I remember the year P. Mickleson won and I cried like a baby. He so deserved to win.
I'm pretty sure Mr. Woods will get it again...he is so awesome..the most awesome player ever, I would say.
Thanks for all the great recipes..I am going to try the P. Cheese...out here in West Texas, we love it, too!!

Posh Peach said...

Oh Miss Janice I was just SO excited to see this post!! Like Queen Bee, I am a big Masters fan! I work at a golf magazine so of course I love all things golf. The tablescape, gifts and everything are just too precious. I am just dying to go to the Masters and have a pimiento cheese sandwich!

Sue said...

Janice,
How exciting to have grown up in Augusta. All the traditions of the Master's that you shared with us are so cool.
It is a tough year for Master's parties this year since it falls on Easter Sunday. My son has a party every year and is going ahead with it any way. I am not sure what the turn out will be but he is young and has lots of friends that have yet to start families so it might go alright.
He hosts the party at our family's golf course so after the brunch is finished the staff will set up for the Master's party or I would surely use some of your great suggestions. I just might make some pimento chesse sandwiches any way. Great post.
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea Miss. Janice! We love to watch golf, play golf and talk golf in our family. This is perfect!

I may have to give the menu a try on Saturday!

Thank you for your fun post!

Sandra said...

OH Miss Janice, this post is wonderful. I must email you later tonight about how special this is to me. Can't put it in a comment. Thank you. xoxo

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Ok Miss Janice, I need to stop coming to your blog. You are just too toooo much!! You make me want to throw a theme party every weekend! I'm sure Southern Hubby wouldn't be too happy about this one, but of course he would be happy about this dinner! It's a bit too late this year, but I think I'm going to host a dinner next year with this theme. How lucky your hubby is to go. SH would give his first born to go to Augusta!! ;)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is wonderful - so will your table set for Easter this year or the Masters? Both you've shown look wonderful! On your salad, did I notice that you've also added some cheese to the recipe? All of this looks wonderful and the recipes are ones I'm going to try soon!

Lou Lou said...

Miss Janice your tablescapes are just amazing! I always look forward to reading your posts!

Tardevil said...

My husband has always wanted to go to the Masters, but never has. I thought he might get the chance when we lived outside of Columbia. He's going to hate it this year b/c we're going to be on the road, and he won't get to see as much of it. Love the "Masters party" idea! Hope your friend is doing better!

Beaufort Belle said...

What a coincidence that you posted this today. My daddy and I are huge golf fans and he is an avid golfer. He attended the Masters for many years but since retiring, he hasn't gone back.

Today, we watched the Par 3 tournament, discussed the tourney, Greg Norman playing again with an honest chance of winning the green jacket (although it will probably be Tiger again) and how gorgeous Augusta National is. We also talked about the $1 pimento cheese sandwiches (he also loves the egg salad sandwiches they sell as well) and I told him about Tea Time at the Masters cookbooks. Thanks for the wonderful menu, I will definitely use. I think I may just have to have my very own Master's Sunday Dinner next year.

My fave is Phil as he is short and lefty like me! I cried when he won his green jacket.

Par 3 day is the best as the kid's players run around and caddie and even get to hit the ball some...very relaxing.

It was great to see Jack, Arnold, and Gary Player playing together today.

Thanks for a wonderful post today and could you share the recipe for Arnold's Ice Tea?

susan said...

What a great post! I would love to go just to see the azaleas! I'm sure our Easter will include the Msters on tv! Thanks and Happy Easter

Nancy said...

What a green post! The little green shirt for the menu is really creative. :)Nancy

Kathleen said...

What fun! I have to take notes on this..the US Open is here on LI in June...We have had a few Opens here in Southampton, ..Hal Sutton rented my neighbors house years ago.
I have my US Open Rose Bush..everything was free after it was over..:)
And BTW, did you know Lilly Pulitzer is from here too? No wonder I like her!
Happy Easter!

Sue said...

What a terrific post tonight...I have to say I was getting a bit tired of Bunnies!! it is so perfect from the centerpiece to the cupcakes...My father always wanted his ashes sprinkled over the course in Augusta...he was a lifetime golfer...your tablescape brought back lovely memories of him...Thank you...Sue.

Nanette said...

Very, very fun. The twice baked potatoes look wonderful. Anabelle thinks the cupcakes look good! I also like the picture of you and Teresa Jane, it's so fun to have special friends. Hope you have a wonderful Easter!
Valerie

PAT said...

Miss Janice this table is fabulous! I love the post!

You also reminded me, it's been far too long since I made pimento cheese sandwiches! I think I'll do that, tomorrow!

Martha said...

What a wonderful party! Love the cupcakes -- very clever. All of it is clever actually -- love, love, love it!

Martha said...

We have a town in Kansas also named Augusta -- they call their golf tournament "The Little Masters"! It's a small community fundraising golf tournament -- no celebrities there -- no green jackets either!

Dream Mom said...

Perfection! I loved so many things about this tablescape-the golf ball centerpiece, the tees and flags in the cupcakes and those awesome invitations. I love the idea of placing a recipe in there once the invitation is used.

Thank you for the lovely history lesson and etiquette on the Masters! I'll have to check out the cookbooks.

SouthernGal said...

How clever is this? I love everything. The invitations are just over the top. The recipes sound yummy. I love pimiento cheese sandwiches. Very cute.

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

ellen b. said...

Miss Janice! What fun this is! I love it and now I am so hungry!!

Deb said...

Hi Miss Janice! Great theme, great tablescape and great food! I love it all! Deb

Kathie Truitt said...

Now I wish you'd do a "Pageant Etiquette" post.

Just like not wearing green to reserve the 'green jacket' for the winner, I don't like to see other title holders wear their crowns to Miss America, or other pageants. Only the winner of that pageant should be wearing a crown that day.

But every pageant I attend, I always see a 'sea of crowns'. (It's like wearing white to someone's wedding.)

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to go to the Masters! The course is so beautiful. What a great idea and fun for all of you. Great job!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Miss Janice,
Love the photo of you and Theresa Jane. You two are gorgeous ladies!
You are an amazing hostess as well. This is superb!

The rich Greens look stunning and the recipes all sound delicious. I'm trying the twice baked potatoes for sure.

Have an enjoyable and blessed Easter.
~Melissa :)

Chandy said...

What a great green table. I also love all the wonderful touches you added! And the jacket invite looks great!

Happy Thursday!

Kathleen Ellis said...

Oh! Your creativity is unsurpassed on this table! Excellent! Every detail is perfect and the menu looks delicious!
Happy Easter!
;-D

Kara said...

Just love those invites and the cupcakes. Very clever idea., kudos again!
Miss Kara

Anonymous said...

Miss Janice, Dear One, you are truly amazing!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Great party idea. Incredible theme details. Love the green jacket invitations! Cute picture of the two of you. (I assume this was not on a Sun., since you are both wearing green!). laurie

PoshMomma said...

I LOVE THIS! My husband would flip! Did you see the pictures of Dudley Hart & his triples on the gree?? SO CUTE! I posted about it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

You may have outdone yourself on the 'fun factor' for this one Miss Janice! The Spousal Unit stopped dead in his tracks when I was scrolling past the invitations, "Those are cool!"

The JL cookbooks sound divine, and your menu too yummy!

The Par 3 Tournament was on all afternoon here at the Prepatorium, like so many others, this is our favorite one to watch of the majors!

Thank you for sharing once again of your incredible style and flair for entertaining! May you and yours enjoy a warm and wonderful Easter/Masters weekend!
tp

Christine said...

Sure do love your Southern Charm!
Living in the Pacific Northwest, there aren't alot of rituals.It is always fun to see what you are doing.

BECKY said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog Miss Janice!! Lady Katherine is definitely a special lady and friend!!

I have a girls club 8-12 years old that I am currently covering etiquette with. Sure wish I had someone like you for them to learn from! They will be using their etiquette and food prep abilities to be hostesses to their moms at our Mother/Daughter tea in May.

They didn't think etiquette was going to be much fun, but have really enjoyed it so far.

We will be covering table setting and table manners next Thursday.

Any suggestions or advice?

Love the Master's post, too. My father-in-law lives in Bayhill and has had us over for that tournament before. Very interesting! Love all that you and your friends do; so very creative, and that photo of you both is adorable!!

It's great to meet you!! I will be back often!!

May your Easter be filled with joy!
Blessings,
Becky

Jewel Sauls said...

I am just amazed at all the fun details on this table. The pencils, the cupcakes - it is all amazing. The barbecued chicken is like Eastern NC barbecued chicken! Everything is just perfect. :D Jewel

BLC :o said...

Great spread. And, many thanks for the wich recipe. For some reason, they just taste better watching the players putt at Amen Corner. :) Xoxo-BLC

Glimpse of My World said...

omg! I love all the Master's stuff!!

Suzanne said...

Great photos, I love it all! The cupcakes are so fun!

vacation package said...

Golf Package Says:
Things I love about this blog:

The Green Jacket that every golfer dreamed of and would make them popular.
and
The wonderful foods that I love to taste, the salad and barbecue chicken.