It's Derby Week and I thought I'd share some cute Derby outfits with y'all. I found these on the Instagram account of Monkee's of Louisville. I love their Facebook and Instagram sites--they put together the cutest outfits...dress, hat, shoes, and pocketbook.
These are beautiful dresses by Laura Bernal! and paired with lovely Southern Belle-style hats. The bigger the hat, the better!
Cute dresses, big hats, and LaRoque sashes.
Love the color combo of this out! This outfit is just adorable!
A precious horsebit-pattern LaRoque dress with a darling fascinator.
This is a limited edition Derby LaRoque dress...love the pattern and the cute fascinator!
Hats and fascinators truly finish off a look and some feel that wearing a hat to the Derby will bring you good luck. There's a debate as to whether you should choose the hat first or the dress. I can't help y'all with that as I have been known to build an outfit around a belt, or a scarf, or a bracelet!
Whatever you choose, be sure you follow proper headwear etiquette:
Wearing a hat:
- Keep in the mind that your hat should frame your face, not overshadow it.
- Wear you hat on top of your head, not tilted back. You may tilt your hat to the right.
- Be sure you pull your hair off of your face...no bangs with a hat.
- Just in case it's a windy day, make sure your hat is secure on your head.
- A lady does not need to remove her hat during the National Anthem, but you should remove it after 5 p.m.
Wearing a fascinator:
Kate Middleton definitely made the fascinator popular.
- Notice that she wears it to the right side of her head, toward the front, and at an angle.
- Keep the fascinator in proportion to your head.
- Keep your hairstyle simple.
Whether you are actually going to the Kentucky Derby, attending a Derby party, or watching it on television with a mint julep in hand, enjoy the race y'all! I'll be wearing my Derby-theme clothes all week.