Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How to Hold A Clutch Purse

Evening Etiquette: How To Correctly Carry A Clutch

From Town and Country Magazine
with my 2 cents


What do you do when you have a glass of champagne in one hand, a clutch in the other, and you are introduced to someone? How do you juggle it all? 
I find myself winking at people when I first meet them and don't have an available hand. Some people enjoy it, others walk away quickly.  I would keep the beverage in my left hand and tuck the clutch under my left arm, leaving my right hand free to shake hands.


Should you dance with your clutch or leave it at the table? Dancing with a clutch is a no no. Leave it on top of the table and let people appreciate it.  I would leave the clutch on my chair seat.


What's the most flattering way to hold a clutch when getting photographed at an event? With a straight arm by your side.  I need to start holding my clutches with way.


What do you always carry in your clutch to a black tie event? Visine, Purell, tissues or a q-tip (but probably tissues), By Terry Baume de Rose lip balm, black eye liner, mints, $and yes, it does all fit!!  I carry an ID, keys, debit card, Burt's Bees lip balm, Chanel lipstick, mints, and cash.


How do you make everything fit? Clever packing. Yes, clever packing!


If you're wearing a black dress what kind of clutch color palette would you recommend this fall? I love deco colors like mint, emerald, sapphire and amethyst.  I love black or gold {old school}.


Is matching your shoes to your bag a do or a don't in your book? Totally unnecessary. As long as they play nicely off each other.  Lord have mercy, I always try to match my shoes to my pocketbook {very old school}!

12 comments:

Farrah said...

I just recently began carrying a clutch (outside of prom) and have wondered these same questions. Thank you for giving your 2 cents.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I'm a matcher as well. Good tips!

Donna said...

I would agree with all your answers...guess that make me old school as well. And that's not a bad thing!

Cottage Dreaming and Flea Market Wishing said...

awesome fashion hints :)

Gramspearls said...

I guess I'm old school, too.I try to make sure my clutch is one that can be placed under my arm, if I have a beverage. If it is a 'boxy' clutch that must be held in the palm of my hand, I either skip the beverage until seated or place it on the chair where I will be sitting. As for matching....I am definityly old school.

Great post about something we might not give much thought.

Warmly, Kathleen

Miss Jane said...

Good information,! While a pop of color is fun it might not always be appropriate to the event or age appropriate. I find most so called 'fashion advice' is really targeted at those still in their 20's. Women who would rather match their eyeliner to their clutch.
Shoes, belt, purse - if not totally matching, at least very complimentary.
Regardless of what the latest fashion magazines say, some rules should never go out of style.

Miss Janice said...

You are welcome!

Miss Janice said...

Matchy matchy!

Miss Janice said...

:)

Miss Janice said...

Town and Country is fabulous!

Miss Janice said...

I like your style Kathleen!

Miss Janice said...

Agree!