Thursday, October 30, 2014

Green Tomato Festival

Last weekend I drove up to Juliette, Georgia...this is the town where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed.  They were having a Green Tomato Festival and since I've always wanted to see where the location, this was a great time to enjoy good food and look around.




I parked right next to the famous railroad tracks seen in the movie...I was very careful not to let my feet get stuck!  This is a busy track...trains are flying by every hour.


My first stop was to have lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe.  I got there early and beat the festival people.

The movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" definitely put Juliette on the map and tourist still flock to this little town to enjoy the good Southern cooking at the Whistle Stop Cafe.



The menu is full of Southern favorites and the sweet tea tasted just perfect served in a mason jar!


The fried green tomatoes are a must!  They were excellent and are served with a special radish sauce.



I decided to also get the vegetable plate...macaroni and cheese, collard greens, field peas, and corn bread...all delicious!



After lunch I strolled the little main street of Juliette...it was truly like stepping back in time.  Just like in the movie. Vocalists perform at the Opry House.  Isn't it adorable?!



The shops are very quaint and offer antiques, foods, clothes, and souvenirs.




This was my favorite shop--The Whistle Stop Train Depot...full of repainted furniture, gifts, and lots of cute Southern stuff.



I bought this cute little lamp with a burlap shade...it's the perfect reading light next to my seat on the sofa.





I absolutely adored this movie.  It's a toss up as to who was my favorite character, but I guess I have to chose Kathy Bates.  The scene with her in the parking lot of the Winn Dixie...my all-time favorite!





I'm gonna watch it again tonight...for the umpteenth time!



Who was your favorite character in the movie?  Is it one of your all-time favorites?

12 comments:

My Cherie Amour said...

That is a great movie and I don't think there is any movie that Kathy Bates has been in that I haven't enjoyed. I have never been to Juliette,GA. I need to add it to my bucket list. It looks like a sweet place to visit.

Gramspearls said...

Miss Janice,
What a great little trip. I loved that movie, too. When I need a good laugh and cry, I go to my 'Southern movie' collection for this one. More for the laughs at Kathy Bates character....loved her 'assertive Southern women' classes.

Warmly, Kathleen

Kari said...

What a delightful movie and book too!
Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy are wonderful! They both have such an amazing way of actually becoming the characters they portray.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

What a wonderful idea for a festival. I've always loved Fannie Flagg's stories, especially since she has ties to Fairhope and writes many of her books here in town! The movie version of this book is so funny, and it's been a while since I've watched it, so I'm glad you reminded me to see it again.

Rose said...

This is one of my favorite blog posts of all time! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to pull out my DVD :)

Kathie Truitt said...

Yes - one of my favorite movies of all time. And I loved watching Kathy Bates as her whole life transformed.

Miss Janice said...

My Cherie Amour,
Definitely put it on your list for a quick visit!

Miss Janice said...

I just loved this movie!

Miss Janice said...

I agree and I loved them both!

Miss Janice said...

They definitely have mastered the art of frying green tomatoes!

Miss Janice said...

Thanks Rose! Enjoy it again.

Miss Janice said...

She was fabulous!