Friday, September 14, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes and Comeback Sauce

Last night I was in the mood for some fried green tomatoes.  I stepped away from 'The Clean Living Diet' for a moment and tried to fry the tomatoes in the least fattening way.

I decided to follow Paula Deen's recipe for Panko Fried Green Tomatoes...baked in the oven.


Recipe for Paula Deen's Panko Fried Green Tomatoes:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup panko {Japanese bread crumbs}
1 tsp. Creole Seasoning
1 egg white
2 green tomatoes sliced into 1/2 inch slices

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.  In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, panko, and seasonings.  In a separate shallow dish, lightly beat egg white; dredge tomatoes in the egg white and cornmeal mixture to coat.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  Spray each tomato with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Turn tomato slices and spray the other side with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

I served some 'Comeback Sauce' with the green tomatoes and let me tell y'all, it was delish!


I fell in love with this sauce as a young girl.  When Mama and Daddy and my brother J.D. and I would make our trips from Augusta to Jackson, Mississippi to visit Daddy's family, the entire Sessums family would always get together for dinner at Dennery's in Jackson.  The 'Comback Sauce' was served along with saltine crackers as a complimentary appetizer.  Years later, as an adult, I would drive 4 hours from my home in Nesbit, Mississippi down to Jackson just to eat a Dennery's and enjoy the saltines and sauce.  Many a Southern hostess has served this sauce in crystal bowls and a plate of saltines.  It's good with all kinds of food...chilled shrimp, a green salad, french fries, fried dilled pickles, and other Southern faves.

Normally, I purchase this sauce from The Mississippi Gift Company, but it was sold out on their site.  The Mississippi Gift Company is a great online store, but I had to go searching elsewhere...

Then I tried the vendor Thames Food.  Well, Thames Food accepted my payment online for the sauce but never delivered.  After several unreturned phone calls and e-mails, I was forced to demand a refund from Paypal...all this unpleasantness against a Southern company! Of course I felt guilty, but I did not receive good customer service at all.  Even after Paypal sent me a refund, I have still never heard from the company.

Y'all know I very rarely give out this award...but, Thames Food is getting my "Miss Janice's Tarnished Spoon" award.  This type of customer service is simply not acceptable!


What to do????  I couldn't buy the sauce anywhere!  I made my own sauce!!!

Recipe for Miss Janice's Comeback Sauce:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp spicy mustard
1 cup mayonaisse
1 tblsp ground pepper
Couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
The juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine and blend all ingredients.  'Comeback Sauce' is the Table Sauce of the South!



I thought it was appropriate to wear my Paula Deen "Hey Y'all" apron to serve these delicious tomatoes!

Try these recipes while the green tomatoes are in the grocery store!

11 comments:

Tikaa Herridge-Cone said...

Sounds yummy, can not wait to try it. Your precious, keep up all your adorable- ness.

Have a great weekend,
Tikaa
Green Acres Brenham.blogspot.com

WorthyStyle said...

Oh my goodness - a real comback/Comeback sauce recipe! I cannot wait to try yours! And I love that Paula Deen Fried Green 'maters recipe. Love it when trying to get rid of excess tomatoes.

XO

The Tuscan Home said...

Yum, this looks delish! Have a fabulous weekend! XO ~Liz

annie said...

I am a fool for fried tomatoes. The first time I had them was at my Grandmother's sister's home in Delware. I was about 5 or so but I was in heaven and never could get enough of them.
And they needn't be green for me. I love fried tomatoes anyway I can get them.
Thanks for the sauce recipe I will be giving it a try this week.

Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled said...

Oh how my hubby enjoys fried green tomatoes. Miss Betty used to make them for him! I may have to give this a whirl!

Love and Hugs,
Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled

Lori said...

Love, love, love Comeback Sauce!! It is really good with shrimp. The baked green tomatoes look good, but were they really as good as the fried? Looks like an easy recipe, so I will have to try them baked.

DMC said...

Looks absolutely delicious! Reminds me of so many fun times in Jackson, Mississippi.

DMC said...

That looks absolutely delicious! It reminds me of fun times in Jackson, Mississippi.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love fried green tomatoes. I'm going to have to try this. I had a green tomatoe caprice salad for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was really good. Didn't know they were good for anything but frying.

BeachGypsy said...

I love love love fried green 'maters!! Always have and always will!!

Lauren Reddington said...

You've made me so hungry now!!