Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tee Time at the Augusta National

It's time!  The Masters Golf Tournament starts this coming Monday, April 8th and ends on Sunday, April 14th.  I'm looking forward to the tournament, but since we are celebrating my Mama's big birthday, I will be watching very closely on TV.  Will Tiger win a 5th green jacket?

Masters badges have changed over the years...from paper to plastic and I am very proud of my collection, which dates back to the 60's! 

Shame on me...I haven't gotten around to getting these framed yet.  Must do!!!

This year the Masters badge is very different from those in the past, depicting a golfer putting on the 11th green.

Hmmm, I must say that this badge is not a favorite of mine.  I like the ones featuring the clubhouse, azaleas, and golfers.  But the people at the Augusta National didn't ask for my opinion:)
  If you don't already have a badge, good luck getting one!  These are the most coveted and toughest tickets in all of sports to get.
 If you are lucky enough to be heading to Augusta next week, Golf Digest has put together an "Insider's Guide to Masters Week." You'll want to read about the best places to sit and watch the tournament, places to stay, ideas for "Masters loot" to take home, etc.

Of course, being a native of Augusta, I have a short list of my own favorite spots.
Topping the list and must-do when I go home to Augusta is Sconyer's Bar-B-Que.  The best.  Make a note though, they are only open for business on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.  {It is located off exit 27 of the Bobby Jones Expressway}.  A must-do if you visit Augusta!  Thank me later.

For some good Southern fried chicken and all the Southern side dishes, eat at the Wife Saver.  Make sure you get extra biscuits.  There are several locations around Richmond County and if you are brave enough to fight the traffic, try the one at 3316 Washington Road.  Again, thank me later!

For your shopping and dining pleasure, stop in at Surrey Center, located on the corner of Highland Avenue and Berckmans Road.  Lots of cute shops and good restaurants.

While you are cruising Washington Road, drive through Krispy Kreme at 2866 Washington Road...it's a tradition y'all!


 People are always asking me if children are allowed inside the Augusta National.  There are no specific age restrictions for children...guardians are responsible for the behavior of their children and you can bet that "hooligan behavior" will not be tolerated.  The price for such?  Your badge.  That's right.  The Pinkertons will take away your badge in a New York minute.  Best be behaving youngins!

Fans ages 8-16 can attend free when accompanied by an accredited patron on tournament days--limit of one child per patron.

There is a fabulous book out right now, "Badges, Egg Salad, and Green Jackets."  I'm obsessed with the title, I just love it!


This book was written by Georgia native Julie Alfriend Ferris and was written for children, but is perfect for all ages.  Ms. Ferris captures the rich history and traditions of the Masters Tournament from A to Z.

A is for Augusta National Golf Club and B is for Badges.

E is for Egg Salad Sandwiches.

You can read more about my Masters celebrations here.  The Masters...a tradition like no other.

12 comments:

A Simple Southern Life said...

I love the idea of framing your badges from past Masters. That is so exciting you are able to attend. Have fun!

DawnW said...

The egg salad sandwiches are the best!! It's such a treat to go to the Masters and I love it so very much!!

DawnW said...

The egg salad sandwiches are the best!! It's such a treat to go to the Masters and I love it so very much!!

My Cherie Amour said...

This is totally unrelated to the Masters subject, but I have to ask.... no white until after Easter or no white until after Memorial Day?????

Miss Janice said...

My Cherie Amour,
You may wear your whites from Easter until Labor Day:)
Miss Janice

My Cherie Amour said...

Thank you!!!! :-)

Farrah said...

Someday...someday...

Krispy Kreme is always a good thing!

Rose Chandler Johnson said...

Well I love the sweet iced tea and the pimento cheese sandwiches. It's the best bargain lunch ever. I love the beauty of the grounds and people watching...shh...don't tell. I'm not much of a golf fan. But it's all terrible exciting every year.

Anita said...

Thanks for the info about Augusta. We were headed that way last weekend but traffic was already bad and we turned around. I will check out the BBQ place for sure. The grounds look beautiful today as we watch on TV. We would love to see in real life!!

Unknown said...

Miss Janice,

I'm the author of "Badges, Egg Salad and Green Jackets: The Masters A to Z!" I was searching the web for my book and found your blog. Thank you for the kind comments about my book! I'm from Thomson and read that you are from Augusta. My website is www.junebugprint.com and my email is junebugprint@yahoo.com Thanks again! ~Julie Ferris

Unknown said...

Miss Janice - I'm the author of "Badges, Egg Salad and Green Jackets: The Masters A to Z!" I was searching my book and found your blog. Thanks for the kind words about my book. I'm from Thomson and saw you were from Augusta. How did you find out about my book? If you want to know more, my website is www.junebugprint.com and my email is junebugprint@yahoo.com I'd love to hear back from you. Thanks, Julie Ferris

Miss Janice said...

You are welcome Julie!