Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Apple Juleps...Southern Style

It's that time of year when I long for the days when Mama and Daddy would take me to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Mama and I would shop like socialites while Daddy sat on the nearest bench...just waiting patiently until we ran out of money.

Pigeon Forge is located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee and is a popular destination for those traveling to see "The leaves changing" during Autumn. The area is also known to shopaholics as as the home of the "Outlet Malls of All Outlet Malls!"But, my most wonderful memory of those trips were our meals at The Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant. Lord have mercy, it's like the The Cracker Barrel heaven! They have THE BEST country cooking...Apple fritters, fried pork chops, applesauce muffins, apple butter, chicken and dumplings, and the list goes on an on. We were never disappointed!

But what do I remember most about the Applewood Restaurant? The Apple Juleps! This is the beverage that was served complimentary to all guests at the restaurant.

With the arrival of Autumn, last night I served Apple Juleps...in mint julep cups!


Etiquette tip: It is considered proper to drink Apple Juleps with a sterling mint julep straw/spoon. Simply use the spoon to stir the julep and sip your beverage through the tiny hole at the other end. This is one of the very few times a lady should use a straw to drink a beverage. It's also acceptable to use a straw when you are drinking a coke out of a can, a large to-go cup of sweet tea, a cold Starbuck's beverage, or when you have taken ill and are in the the bed.

A sterling mint julep straw/spoon...stir with one end and sip from the other.
Recipe for the Apple Julep:
1 quart unsweetened apple juice, chilled
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, chilled
1/4 cup lemon juice, chilled
Garnish with apple slices or mint sprigs

Combine all the ingredients with ice cubes. Enjoy! Happy Autumn y'all!

8 comments:

ABC said...

Pigeon Forge is my neck of the woods! The Outlet Mall landscape has changed a bit since I was a child, but the Tanger outlet mall is one of my favorite places to shop! Have you ever visited Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge during Winterfest? Christmas lights GALORE!!

I Do Declare said...

I know the Apple Barn well - the fritters there, TO DIE! I am going to try this julep recipe! Looks so yum. Happy Fall!

Lori said...

Funny mention the Applewood Restaurant. It reminded me of an issue by Southern Lady (probably about 5 or so years ago) that featured that restaurant. It had a number of their popular recipes. . club sandwich, apple fritters, etc and the one I loved the most. . .their chicken and dumplings. Oh my goodness!! I've made them many times and they are wonderful. I still love my Grandma's the best, but they certainly rival hers even though they are so different. I was so impressed with the magazine that I couldn't bear to throw it away, so I've kept it all of these years. Bad thing is, since I've moved, I haven't come across it yet.

Lori
(Lmsbartow)

Michelle said...

What a wonderful sounding recipe...a touch of fall even on the days that the thermometer hasn't heard fall is here.

Kathy said...

I love Apple Barn! My late husband & I would travel to Pigeon Forge seasonally and we would always eat--several times-at the Applewood Farmhouse restaurant.We would always come home home with a big stack cake to freeze and enjoy later. I need to return there with my son, it has been way too long.

Tammy B said...

My mother and I are going to Pigeon Forge/Sevierville in two weeks to shop. We are staying near the Apple Barn and Applewood Restaurant. We can't wait. We have to go to the Apple Barn and stock up on apple butter. We will have to try the apple juleps.

Nellie said...

I really enjoyed reading this! I have done much shopping in Pigeon Forge. That's not all - I've also enjoyed those Apple Juleps at the Applewood Restaurant. The Apple Barn has been a favorite destination for many years.

Lori said...

Woo hoo!! I found the Southern Lady magazine that featured the Applewood Restaurant. It was their Taste of the South winter 2005 issue. Boy that was a great issue!!

Lori
(Lmsbartow)